"Now that I have seen I am responsible, faith without deeds is dead." (Brooke Fraser)
"You can't un-see what you have seen." (Brian Lee)
“The work of the eyes is done. Go now and do the heart-work on the images imprisoned within you.” (Rainer Maria Rilke)





Wednesday, June 06, 2007

I'm following the leader, the leader, the leader. I'm following the leader wherever he may go...

Isam Itson, III. He came to Calvary Worship Center a few years back and "fit." You know how it just works and fits? It did with Isam. He came in as our part-time mid-high pastor but we quickly saw there was more to him than meets the eye. His heart is missions and he likes to focus on equipping according to Ephesians 4:12 ("to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up...."). But he also has the perfect personality for those mid-high kids. You know what I'm talking about don't you? Mid-high kids are....great and awkward all at the same time. It takes a special person to relate to them. But I digress.....

Isam is a man with a servant's heart and with high integrity. And I'm not saying this because I am guessing. I am speaking from EXPERIENCE. Is he human? Totally. We all have flaws and weaknesses - in part this is why God gives us the spouses we have if we are married! But I am compelled to share a little of Isam with you before we leave for Kenya in one week.

I have known Isam for almost 3 years. We served on the staff of our church together for a couple of those years. When he interviewed me for the Kenya trip it was nice that he knew me already! That made it a lot easier to cry in front of him and use up all the Kleenex in his office!

My experience with Isam has never been anything less than a blessing, challenge, and encouragement. Here are a few examples: a couple of years ago I was put in charge of our annual Fall Festival - which I quickly found out I was NOT suited for - and the night of the festival hits and we are all just working it. Isam appeared at my elbow and just said simply, "What do you need? What can I do?" I looked at him in panic and he just took charge. He and another pastor figured out what I really needed and they took it over and it was no concern of mine for the rest of the night. Wow. He totally covered me - as a pastor and team player (i.e. co-worker) should. I believe I went home that night and cried in thankfulness for Isam and this other pastor. We've had conversations in the church kitchen and on staff retreats and in offices, we have counseled teens together as a team, we have experience with how each other responds to people and situations.

The one example of Isam and his leadership that foreshadows Kenya happened last year. We were in the mountains on a staff retreat. The girls decided to go hiking, some of the guys decided they would join us. Us girls quickly lost our positions on where to hike and all but it was fun to watch these men rise up differently than they did at church. So our group starts walking to find the trail. One man has the map, another - Isam - is leading. I am at the back. Here's where the test came in. In our group was also my boss. So naturally I am accustomed to following his leadership BUT it was clear in this case that Isam was leading the pack. So I followed the leader. When he stopped to have everyone rest and drink some water I followed his direction. When he said let's go this way I followed. And I kept my eyes on him. I remember hiking a distance behind him and thinking how perfect of a leader he was - and how excited I was becoming at following this leader in Kenya. He showed me that day, I am sure unknowingly, that he was a leader who considered others, was in tune to needs of the group at large and yet individuals as well, and trusted the gifts God has given him.

In October 2006 Isam went to Kenya with our senior pastor. He kind of went there to get the lay of the land - a little like Joshua and Caleb. One morning I was praying for him and God clearly told me, "Ask me to give Isam a new vision." Huh. Okay. So from that moment on I prayed for him to get whatever vision God had. A week or so later I was having coffee with a friend from church and she mentions that she was feeling led to pray for Isam and a new vision. So I KNEW God was speaking to him in regards to the June trip.

And then, we had our first meeting in January. It was more an informational meeting for those interested but he handed out a rough itinerary and when I looked at it I realized it was a new vision that Isam had indeed received. And then he walked us through it and explained certain parts of it. And I knew that was why God had led some of us (I am sure there were others God led to pray the way I was) to pray for a new vision. WOW. I am blown away by God's grace in all of it.

I will post my itinerary next week but let me share with you now the vision. Assimilation - both into that culture while we are there and then back into more of the culture we live in here. We will take the day after we arrive to exchange money, rest and allow our bodies to get used to climate and time zone, and we will take the time to consecrate our team and our work to Christ. In order to ensure that we are all keeping our heads on straight and not allowing the enemy to beat us up with guilt about where we live and what we have - a stark contrast to what we will be experiencing in the slum - we will be having team meetings/debriefings each and every afternoon. We will work each day 5 hours at Mathare Valley Worship Center taking one day off the full week we are there for laundry, team debriefing, and time to decompress. The last 2 days we will move from our "home" base called Little Sisters to an International Hotel in Nairobi. This is where assimilation of our culture comes into play. We will hold team meetings at this hotel, shop for souvenirs, and go on a one-day game (think safari) drive. God gave Isam these things as a plan of action to help us begin to assimilate back into life in the United States. We will need this because Isam has made it very clear that we will be working hard while we are in Kenya and we will need time to regroup just a bit before we hop back on a plane for 21 hours.

God is teaching me a lot about leadership and the kind of leadership he wants his people to walk in. So because of that I am following the leader, wherever he may go.....

No comments: