"They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." (Acts 2:42-47 NIV)
**************************************************************************************
This is a story about a family. This family is a melting pot of cultures, childhood backgrounds, ages, testimonies, and life experiences. It's a newborn family, only a few months old. As with all newborns it takes time to learn the personalities of the members. I am part of this family.
Here's where I confess to you something about my newborn family. Shhhhhhhhh....keep it to yourself please. I just solidified all their names in my mind a couple of weeks ago. Until a couple of weeks ago I couldn't remember everyone's name! I felt horrible about this. The relational part of me hates not using a person's name when I am speaking to them. The relational part of me hates the awkwardness that is in the air when the relationship is new.
I've really been struggling with the relational part of this whole team thing. Each week we sat in a circle and we talked. Isam giving us great stuff to chew on (my jaw aches from all the chewing I have been doing!) and we spend time in prayer together each week. But I still didn't feel connected to these strangers I would be spending close quarters with for 24/7 in June. But all that changed 2 nights ago, our family entered the toddler stage with a simple act of breaking "bread" together.
As I said in my previous post (okay it is the post right below this one and written about 10 minutes ago but I had to make this thought a totally separate post - it has earned that privilege!) we had an authentic African meal together at the home of Dave and Sheila Ritchie, a precious couple to me personally.
After everyone had arrived Dave instructed us to wash our hands thoroughly. I had found out earlier in the day that we wouldn't be using utensils so Isam had asked me for my best poker face. I think I pulled it off, wouldn't you say Isam? I even took off my jewelry (which I won't have in Africa anyway) at a time when the group couldn't see me doing it and catch on to why Dave asked us to wash up so well. We all washed, Dave broke the news that it was hands only (the group took it VERY well), and we sat. We kind of circled the table. Where to sit? So I just picked a seat and sat. And then everyone else just kind of fell in. Dave instructed us and we began to eat. Guess what happened? One of the most beautiful things that happens when a family who loves each other is together....conversation began to flow. Giggling was taking place, flaws and weaknesses of mine were revealed (they all found out I don't like the outdoors and I get really car sick.....SIGH), joking occurred as Dave was giving tips and hints for protocol in Kenya, faces were beaming, people were relaxed. I couldn't write this entry yesterday when it was still so very fresh because everytime I thought of it I cried. But I can say it today without a lot of tears getting in the way and shorting out the keyboard. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. It was a moment that my heart will not forget and down the road when I think of Kenya this will be one of my fondest memories. Isam must have thought it was pretty cool too, because at one point he looked up and around and people were laughing and talking and I watched him watch them and he looked at me and with eyes shining and a big smile on his face he said, "Yeah, the family is having dinner together." I just nodded.
We are family.
1 comment:
I've always found the Eucharist, in all of its displays, to be one of the most moving elements of the Christian life, clean hands or no.
Post a Comment