As we drove toward the slum, my eyes and heart took in the familiar sights, smells and sounds of the Kenya I love. It felt like it had been just a couple of months absence rather than two full years. I remembered it all and as we got closer to the church and I recognized landmarks I couldn't stop myself from smiling and clapping with eagerness. Those in the van with me that have been to Kenya before shared my excitement. We were all literally at the edge of our seats, peering out the windows and ready to jump out the minute the van stopped! We were as excited as the children swarming our van the moment we pulled into the yard of the church.
I exited the van to new and old friends, to embraces and greetings, to the sounds of worship already coming from the sanctuary. Escorted in by many I was handed a bulletin! That was new. I couldn't stop smiling. The sanctuary was packed and as we made our way to our seats my eyes drank in all the changes and all of the improvements they had made to the sanctuary in my two year absence. They were enough to make me take notice but it was still home, I felt overwhelming joy. Getting settled in our seats I started spotting people I had met last trip and we began to hug and greet each other as if we had only been separated a week or two. The instant camaraderie we had developed last time was renewed immediately.
Worship was going at full strength. The worship team was leading us in Swahili and while we couldn't sing in their language we could still fully participate and worship with the Body. It was exuberant and sincere worship. I wept. I couldn't help it. I felt full to overflowing to be there with people I considered to be family and I knew regarded me in the same way.
Despite my excitement I noticed some of our team members looking overwhelmed, uncertain and uncomfortable. I took a moment and prayed for them, that they would allow their hearts and minds to be open to this work of God. That they would allow themselves to be touched by the worship and the people of MWC. I remembered my first experience at MWC so I knew what they were most likely thinking and feeling, it is a lot to process. But I also knew what and how God wanted to use it.
To this point none of the worship songs were familiar musically, never mind the language! But a new song had started and I found myself humming along with it. "Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, consider all the works thy hands have made...." My eyes popped open and my heart soared. I took in the moment. MWC was singing in Swahili and CWC was singing in English and yet we were singing the same song with the same heart and in harmony with one another. It was a perfect union of hearts for God raising their voices together. It was a moment in which I could imagine what worship at the throne may sound like, with the nations joining together. I'm not sure I have ever heard a more beautiful sound and I'm positive I will never forget it.
"Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: 'To him who sits on the throng and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever! ....there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. and they cried out in a loud voice: 'Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.' " (Revelation 5:13, 7:9-10 NIV)
No comments:
Post a Comment