"Now that I have seen I am responsible, faith without deeds is dead." (Brooke Fraser)
"You can't un-see what you have seen." (Brian Lee)
“The work of the eyes is done. Go now and do the heart-work on the images imprisoned within you.” (Rainer Maria Rilke)





Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Getting There - I call that GRACE

"There is actually only one thing you can dedicate to God, and that is your right to yourself. If you will give God your right to yourself, he will make a holy experiment out of you - and his experiments always succeed." (Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest - June 13)


It is, of course, no mistake that the day I depart for Africa is the day of this reading. God, after all, knows how I hear him and knows when I need one final word of encouragement. I call that GRACE.


I determined to give God myself and so he made sure I was serious. Plans of Lanny and I having just a few more minutes together were squelched by our overheated car. He put my luggage with everyone else's, I kissed him quick and hopped into the van. Okay Lord. Giving up rights to myself. As we headed towards I-25 I cried my last tears, my team comforted me to the point of laughter and we were on our way. Africa, ready or not, here I come. God, ready or not, here I am - your holy experiment.


Imagine what it takes for you to travel. Now add in your family members. Now imagine 11 adults traveling overseas together. Ever been to the circus? Remember the clowns getting into the Volkswagen Bug and wondering how in the world they did that? I liken our traveling experience to that! We had 22 pieces of checked baggage and then each of us had a carry-on (or two). It was comical to see this sea of luggage just for our small group of 11. But I will tell you this, nobody was inconvenienced by it - not us, not the airline personnel we worked with, not customs. We kept together and followed our leader. At times we broke down laughing as one of us would look around at our group hauling all this luggage but it was never something that hindered our witness or our unity. I call that GRACE.



June 13 - DIA JetBlue Check-in

This is part of our checked baggage!



June 14 - NYC preparing to depart for JFK to catch our international flight. We filled up the hotel lobby with our luggage!


As you can imagine, the earlier we arrived at the airport to check-in the better. It takes some time and patience to check 22 pieces of luggage and issue boarding passes for 11 people. So Isam made sure that we had the time we needed and it worked out perfectly. The morning of June 13 found us cracking up over Mad Libs that Sara had brought specifically for this purpose. June 14, as we waited at JFK, we had time to walk around and stretch before boarding our plane for a 14 hour flight. We took advantage of the stretching time, the walking, and using non-airplane restrooms! By this time I was relaxed and ready to go. My fears, I found, I had left behind in Colorado Springs. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7 NIV) Who was this woman?!? I was at peace and it felt right. I call that GRACE.



June 14 - JFK International Terminal - Waiting to board. Isam stretching his long legs, he and Kevin both had that to think about. Kevin and Nick passing time by playing Ms. Pac-Man.




June 14-15 - Our plane that took us from JFK to Dubai (United Arab Emirates) where we caught another plane that took us 5 hours south to Nairobi, Kenya. It was a massive plane!


The 14 hour flight wasn't as bad as I was anticipating. And it helped that we all just served one another as best we could and we kept ourselves hydrated, fed, and entertained. Few of us were actually able to sleep. Emirates Airlines took care of us well and we had things to do on this long flight. Our 5 hour flight into Nairobi was delayed about an hour and pretty much everyone slept that flight. And then, on Friday June 15 at around 5 pm Nairobi time (about 8 am MST of the same day) we landed. All of our luggage made it with us and we breezed through customs. It was so easy that we all were stunned. I call that GRACE.



WOW. I am in Africa. I am in the country I said I would never go to because it wasn't "me." I am excited, ready, and anticipating God to lead me in ways I have never dreamed I would be led. I call that GRACE.

2 comments:

KimberB said...

Beth-
This time it's my turn to be speechless. What can be said other than thank you for sharing your journey to Africa with us - thanks for opening our eyes to children in Africa - thanks most of all for being obedient to the call of God on your life and sharing that journey with us as well . . . Kim

Brandon said...

That Volkswagen metaphor is classic!