So I started pulling out all the excuses I could think of. Sad and pitiful I know, but I tried!
But Lord...
I am light sensitive and I won't be able to wear sunglasses over there.
But Lord...
I get carsick and I won't be able to drive over there.
But Lord...
In combination with my carsickness the diesel fuel they use will make me even more sick and then I will be useless!
But Lord...
I get horrible sores in my mouth when I'm stressed, when I haven't gotten enough sleep and then I can't talk!
But Lord...
My body just doesn't travel well.
Yeah. God could care less about my lame excuses. He addressed every single one with me. He started on a Sunday morning with a message in which Pastor Al was saying that we can't tell God, "If you just keep me healthy then I can do _________." It isn't about us! It's about God working in and through us.
I still thought that maybe my excuses had some validity. They were real excuses after all. So I offered those excuses to Pastor Isam. Just like God, he shot them down! So I asked God, what now?
And he told me to just be obedient to each step in the process. When, and if, I heard him say "stop" then I could stop pursuing the Kenya trip. But until then I was just to take each step as it came.
Okay, step one. Go to informational meeting. At the meeting I picked up a passport application and signed up for the Saturday School of Missions 101 training.
Step two, fill out application for the team and wait to be interviewed. Just because I am on staff doesn't mean I will be accepted.
On to step three, School of Missions 101. I went, I took notes, I listened and absorbed, and I didn't get scared by the culture stuff we may run into. Oh boy. I'm not afraid of it, just accepting. Who am I? I don't even recognize myself!
Pastor Isam sets up the interview with me. Step four. I cried my way through the interview - poor Isam - and walked out of that room knowing that God wasn't going to say "stop" anytime soon.
But Lord....
2 comments:
Isn't it extraordinary how we can be right at the exact place where God wants us and still we leave a room in abject tears?! Guess it just shows that God's will and our wills don't always match up. I guess that's why they call it obedience.
Amen my friend. Kicking and screaming but obeying none the less....
Post a Comment