She darted down the stone steps out of nowhere. Covered in layers and with the hood of her "hoodie" pulled up over her head so her features were indistinguishable. She kept her head down and hurried, with her arms full of newspapers, toward the trash can sitting right outside the entrance to Young Life Service Center.
Yes, this is a true story.
We sat watching her curiously, at first thinking and believing she was only throwing away all the newspapers in her hands. Now? In retrospect? I think the newspapers served as her excuse to be in the trash can. She kept her head way down and shoved the newspapers in while simultaneously spying and retrieving Chick-Fil-A and Taco Bell empty lunch sacks. She knows what we probably don't even think about. They aren't empty, there's a morsel or two leftover. And her knowledge and, I'm assuming at this point, her hunger drove her to search the bags while standing there. She did it quickly and in full sight of myself and my boss. If she knew anyone was watching, she didn't care. She was hungry. We watched her in silence, in a soberness of heart and mind as she discovered what seemed to be two small leftovers bites of food. She shoved them in her mouth, shoved the now truly empty sacks back in the trash and was gone as quick as she arrived. There wasn't time to go out there and bring her in to get some food for her. This all happened so quickly. She was gone, probably to search out other trash cans and we were left quiet, dazed, sobered, sad.
What to do?
People are hungry. People are hungry here in America, the land of the free and home of the brave. And they are free and brave but they are hungry. Oh people aren't just hungry in America but the girl above? She's here in America and she's hungry.
What to do?
Some God-fearing people will say things like, "Feed her the Bread of Life and then she won't be hungry." Um. Actually she will. GASP. Beth! How could you say that? Because it's true! Wess Stafford, President of Compassion International, says that before we can educate people (children or adults) about the love of God or just math and science, before we can ask them to do much of anything we must address the literal hunger pains they are having that keep them from focusing on anything. Hunger pains, true ones - not the ones you experience when it's been too long between lunch and dinner, take all of a person's focus because the pains are all consuming. They invade thought process, they invade energy levels, they invade ability to focus and concentrate, they invade the ability to hear because the pains are louder than anyone's voice or message. So while I am all for feeding people the Bread of Life I am first going to take care of the practical need they have so that when I give them the Bread of Life they can see it and hear it for what it is.
See, I think some people use the Bread of Life as a cop-out to not have to get involved and interact. Hmm. Let's see. Jesus, our model, didn't just throw some words at the people and keep going. No he INTERACTED. He recognized the physical and spiritual needs of the people who he came into touch with. He even told us in Matthew to extend a cup to the thirsty and bread to the hungry - and while some people might say he only meant spiritually I beg to differ. I think it is very clear he meant physically and spiritually.
What to do?
I laid awake in bed last night composing ideas of what to do in my head. At first I thought I would stash my drawer with PB&J sammies but then I realized that the bread will mold if they sit there for a couple of days and nobody hungry shows up at our trash can again. So I started going through possibilities coming up with nothing because I was tired. This morning I have a clear mind and "Duh, Beth" the answer comes to me! Stock my drawer with a few tuna lunch kits - good source of protein and they won't go bad while waiting to be given to a hungry person. Thanks goodness for some sleep that brought me some clear ideas! Also my local WalMart has been selling some things that presumably are good for camping/RVing but I like to buy them to have on hand to give to hungry people and stock our church food pantry with. They are non-perishable so that will be good to have for the "just in case".
What to do?
Brooke Fraser, (an artist I've showcased on this blog a couple of times) sings in one of my most favorite songs, "Now that I have seen I am responsible. Faith without deeds is dead." I saw. I saw a girl run down some steps and search out a couple of bites of food because that's what she has to do. I saw. I can't pretend I didn't see. I can't ignore what I saw. I saw. And because God allowed me to see it now I have a responsibility. I'm not responsible to be the savior of the hungry. I'm not responsible to try and single handily eradicate hunger in Colorado Springs. But I'm responsible to be obedient to whatever idea God gives me to follow through on. I'm responsible to be his hands and feet as he asks me to. Faith without deeds is dead. Deeds without faith is no good either. They go hand in hand working together for a greater good, one that we don't or can't always fully understand.
What have you seen?
What will you do?
2 comments:
Beth,
Thanks for this post. Jesus said that his righteous ones will take care of the least, including the hungry. May we follow him to the least.
-Alan
Beth -
Amen! He has convicted me today (twice) about doing something about what I see . . . I was reading "Handle With Prayer" and he was talking about why bother praying about something you're not willing to do something about . . . the hungry, those in need of food, time, money . . . open our eyes, open our ears, open our hearts Lord Jesus.
-Kim
Post a Comment